Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012

In 2011, I completed my master's degree which focused on integrated teaching through the arts.  Even though it was a masters in education, it led me in an unexpected direction.  Before the end of the program, I found myself entering the world of children's books writing and illustrating.  I became a member of the Society of Children's Books Writers and Illustrators.  Since then, my life has been engulfed by newsletters, blogs, books, and any other type of publication about writing and illustrating.  I have also began producing more work than I have in a very long time.  The year had ended with making the decision of participating in Novembers' PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month) and somehow finding 30 story ideas for children's book.  I'm not sure if they are any good, but it is definitely a start in the right direction.  I also sent in my entry for the Tomie dePaola Illustrator Award.  He chose an excerpt from “Chicken Licken,” by P.C. Asbjörnsen.  Here is what I entered for the excerpt:

So they went along and went along until they met Turkey Lurkey
“Good morning, Goosey Loosey, Ducky Daddles, Cocky Locky, Henny Penny,
and Chicken Licken,” said Turkey Lurkey, “where are you going?”
“Oh, Turkey Lurkey, the sky is falling and we are going to tell the King!”
“How do you know the sky is falling?” asked Turkey Lurkey.
“Ducky Daddles told me,” said Goosey Loosey.
“Cocky Locky told me,” said Ducky Daddles.
“Henny Penny told me,” said Cocky Locky.
“Chicken Licken told me,” said Henny Penny 
“I saw it with my own eyes, I heard it with my own ears,
and a piece of it fell on my tail!” said Chicken Licken.
“Then I will go with you,” said Turkey Lurkey, “and we will tell the King!”

 Tomorrow the winner will be announced.  It is exciting, but I can't imagine how they are going to decide on the winner.  Through facebook we were able to share images of our entries.  There were so many wonderful illustrations.  Regardless of the outcome, I had a fun time creating this image. Now my next part of my journey begins with the 12x12 in 2012 challenge, maybe the picture book dummy challenge, and my own new year's resolution to create one quick illustration a day(starting tomorrow).  I just need to get into the practice of creating more movement in my drawings, which gesture drawings will help with.  So welcome 2012, a productive year of writing and illustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment