Sunday, February 12, 2012

Weekend full of art

Yesterday, I met with my illustrators group for an artist's play date.  We brought various materials and began being creative.  It was so much fun to just play with materials.  I decided to use a piece of cardboard and collaged various torn pieces of paper.  For the girl, I used white gouache to create her silhouette and then used watercolor pencils on top.  I love the textures the paper created.  I have always been attracted to the edges of torn paper.  Something about it draws me to it. 

Today was busy with various chores, but I had another experience with the squirrel in my parent's back yard.  Her name is Striker and I went to feed her nuts.  I had set some on the tree and I held one in my hand for her to take.  But she came at it from a weird angle and knocked the nut out of my hand, so she kept taking the nuts I had set on the tree.  She would pretend to come get the nut from my hand, and then she would end up grabbing one on the tree.  I stood there in awe of how close she stayed near me.  She was the inspiration for today's drawing.
I even had time to do a quick watercolor version of one of my daily drawings.

2 comments:

  1. I love the girl! And the methods/materials you used are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was inspired by the husband and wife children's book illustrator team Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. They create these beautiful illustrations using fabrics, papers, and various materials. I think I might play with it a little more.

      Delete