Thursday, February 9, 2012

Busy little bee

Socks, socks, socks, socks!  This week I have decided to get ready for Pennies for Patients, which is my school's fundraising event for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  The past few years we have been one of the top schools in the nation who raise money for them.  In past years, I have made an abundance of sock dolls and sell them.  I didn't participate last year because I was super busy with thesis paper.  This year, our ASB has decided that we will do the fundraiser for a program in our district that helps students in need here at home.  I am really happy with this decision because the students will get to truly see the impact of their fundraising.

 I began creating some of my sock creatures yesterday.  Today I was able to complete 4 of them.  One, I promised to a former student.  Another was one I had wanted to make for my own collect.  The last two, I swear, are for this event coming up in a few weeks.  I just need to come up with names and a cute little background story about them.  I was able to sew the body shells of 2 more, so hopefully I will have those finished tomorrow.  My department thinks I'm crazy.  As my students are drawing, I walk around with some kind of sewing or crochet project in my hands.  There are times when it seems like I am constantly creating. 

For my daily drawing, I decided to rework a previous drawing, but I ended up not liking it.  I began giving the squirrel more texture and shading, but now the sock looks out of place.  I think if I color the sock the image will change.  Because I wasn't happy with this drawing, I created another.  I like this one a lot more, but need to darken up the surrounding areas to make it look more like the inside of a tree or a drey.



And now that I have finished writing this blog I can say I've had a pretty productive day.
Here is a photo of the sock doll I made for myself.
I still need to give it a name, but I am looking forward to drawing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment