Friday, February 24, 2012

Storytelling and the Self Portrait

Yesterday, I had my students begin to share stories of their childhood.  This is an activity I began doing with my students last year in order to get them thinking about various things to incorporate into their self portrait other than the obvious "likes" and "dislikes."  It seems to help them remember the small details that they so easily overlook. Self Portraits are not an easy thing to create.  High School students have an especially difficult time with this assignment because they want to be extremely literal with no reference to history or culture.  Hopefully with all of the questions and stories they are asked to think about and share they will explore outside the boundaries of the literal. 
The self portrait can effectively tell one's story visually when done with thought, insight, and honesty.

Today I was going over my calendar of events and lesson plans.  I exhausted myself just looking at it.  I could think of nothing more than making time to relax, although, I'm not exactly sure when that will be.  At least I can live vicariously through my drawings.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment