Sunday, March 11, 2012

Where it all started

 
It all began with a book and some socks.  I found John Murphy's book Stupid Sock Creatures.  I thought it might be something fun for my art club students, but it ended up not grabbing their attention.  I, on the other hand, fell in love and maybe obsessed with creating fun sock creatures. Little by little, my collection of socks, buttons, and sewing materials grew.  It now sits, unorganized, in its own closet.


About 5 years later, I have created too many of these to keep count.  I wish I had taken photos of the first batches I made.  There were so many I adored, but gave them away.   I kept many. My little Mizzle family has grown; each one full of personality.  This eventually led to me creating stories.  I knew they lived in trees, but they needed friends.  It took me very little time for me to realize how perfect a squirrel would fit that role.  They live in trees and have a curious nature just like the Mizzles.

 

 But this has only increased my love for squirrels.  Today was pretty amazing because I got to hand feed Striker, one of the squirrels who come to my parent's backyard for nuts.  She has been visiting for the past 3 or 4 years.  We know it is her because she is the only one who will allow us to come close to her.  We are not allowed to touch her, but she will gently take food from us.


I have been thinking about this all week.  I draw my characters and share them with you, but none of you really know them.  I think I'm going to spend some time introducing them to you.  I'm a bit excited!  I can't wait for you to get to know them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment