Monday, January 7, 2013

Inspirational Quotes

I love reading inspirational quotes, especially if they are from artists or about creativity.  A few years ago, I began writing them down on post-it notes and stuck them all around my computer monitor or on the wall near my desk.  Mostly, they are little affirmations for my own personal creative process, or I find them amusing.  But, sometimes I find my students reading them.  Since I've changed rooms, my collection of quotes has been sitting aside waiting to be displayed in their new home. 

I thought I'd share what I've collected.

Live out of your imagination, not your history.
-Stephen Corey

As children, we all live in a world of imagination, of fantasy, and for some of us that world of make-believe continues into adulthood.
-Jim Henson

We wish to bring joy to your heart that the reality of who you are is far greater than anything you have imagined.
-Unknown

Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it.
-Salvador Dali

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.  Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-Scott Adams

Nothing changes until something moves.
-Albert Einstein

If you don't jump, the wings will never come.
-Bruce Coville, at SCBWI summer conference 2011

Creativity is not rearranging; it is transformation.
-Viola Spolin

I believe that we form our own lives, that we create our own reality, and that everything works out for the best.
-Jim Henson

I'm creative --you can't expect me to be neat, too.
-Unknown

Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.
-Edgar Degas

Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun.
-George Scialabba

Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.
-Pablo Picasso

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely on my imagination.  Imagination is more important than knowledge.  Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world.
-Albert Einstein

Life is not measured by the number of breaths, but by the moments that take our breath away.
-Maya Angelou

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.
-Thomas Merton

Art is not a thing; it is a way.
-Elbert Hubbard

And, the quote that makes me smile every time I read it is from my former student, Ayana Pepaj.

"I'm not judging. I'm just saying it's disgusting." 

I have no idea what the topic of conversation was, but I remember working on the murals and garden with my art club students and hearing her end the conversation with that statement.  It made me laugh then and it still does.

What are your favorite inspirational quotes?


No comments:

Post a Comment