Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Making my own light

When the shootings began happening this holiday season, it broke my heart there were so many innocent people being hurt.  People on Facebook were posting quotes about light in the darkness.  Here were a few that stuck with me:

“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” 
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light."
Aristotle Onassis

"Give light and people will find the way."
Ella Baker

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen

They made me think.  It is so true that no matter how dark the situation is, there is always a ray of light.  There is always a bit of hope for us to find and hold onto.  It is when that light is found the darkness doesn't seem to be quite as dark as it originally was.  I began creating a Mizzle painting to illustrate it, but it was put on hold due to other projects.  I figured I could paint and sew while spending the evening with my family.  I wasn't sure if I would actually have time to work on anything, but I took it with me anyways. My night consisted of sitting on the couch next to my little sister surfing the web, laughing with my mom and dad, and answering my dad's cell phone, which seemed to go off all night with calls from family members upset or concerned about his current situation, and playing with all 5 of their cats.  Soon I was sitting on the floor painting while my mom worked on her knitting. It seems appropriate that this ended up being my final painting for 2012.  My dad seemed to enjoy watching me work on it and watching its progress.  Every once in a while my mom would ask me a question about the painting because it wasn't making too much sense.  I kept laughing and telling her "Just wait and trust me.  It will make sense soon. (Pause, a sigh, and a confused look on my face) I hope."  She just laughed.  At some point, I was a little afraid myself that I had ruined it.

This past week seemed to be the darkest.  To be honest, I haven't quite found the light, but I have decided I would create it. I ended 2012 laughing with my family and I woke up calm, centered, and hopeful for what 2013 may bring my way.



No comments:

Post a Comment