Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Influences- Chuck Close

Chuck Close standing next to the Big Self-Portrait, 1968
I can't remember when I fell in love with Chuck Close.  I have loved his portraits for many years.  His earlier work is amazing in detail and size.  Photorealism is my absolute favorite art movement.  What I admire most about him is that after his accident and being diagnosed parapalegic, he continued to create art. It is amazing to see him work.  His paintings are just as large as before.  They may not be as photorealistic, but they are realistic and have an optical illusion feel to it.


Mark, 1979, Acrylic on canvas 

Every year, I show the Chuck Close video to my students as inspiration for their photorealistic assignment.  But always hope they take away from the video that no matter what life throws at you determination to keep moving forward will take you a long way.

Chuck Close working on Self-Portrait, 2000-01
In 2007, my life was complete.  Chuck Close had a exhibit at the Orange County Museum of Art.  I had never seen his work in person before.  Granted the work was not his paintings, but his prints and paper images were just as amazing.  At this exhibit I bought the book Close Reading by Martin Friedman.  I began reading it, but life got in the way and I never finished it.  Of what I read, it had great sarcastic humor and a realness to it.  As I read it, I could hear Chuck Close's voice.  My plan is to go back to reading the book the moment school lets out.

Lyle, 2000, Eight-color soft-ground etching
Self-Portrait, 1983, Pulp paper on canvas
Self-Portrait, 1980, Stamp pad ink on gray paper



















Originally, I wasn't going to talk about Close today for my influence, but I began the Hero's Art Journey course with Mira Reisberg.  Our first task is exploring the self portrait.  It made me think of him.
I have no idea what I am going to do for my self-portrait, but I have to get working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment