Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Influences- Nebrensky women

Since I began these posts about my influences, I have come to realize that a lot of my favorite artists or types of art are strongly influenced by the women in my family: Grandma, Mom, and Aunt.  Each one of them has had an impact in my life.

My Grandma shared with me her favorite artists like Claude Monet, Maurice Sendak, and Andy Warhol.  We attended museums.  She took me to the ballet, and always encouraged my artistic abilities.  She wasn't a painter or a drawer, but her art was sewing.  She loved making quilts and dolls.  She loved attending her quilting groups and making quilts for organizations that donated them to shelters or hospitals for children. 















Grandma and me with the sock doll she made :)
My Aunt played with me all of the time.  She played with me all of the time, always encouraging my imagination.  My family likes to say that I was her human Barbie doll.  She loved taking me out shopping for outfits. Like the rest of the Nebrensky women, my Aunt began sewing.  She made us aprons for Christmas one year.  Mine had cats all over it.  She has become a different source of inspiration for me.  She is a single mom.  She has also been a source of strength when my life seemed to fall apart.  As an adult, I have noticed how much closer my family is.  The women of this family have a really strong bond.  We share a love of crafts, art, and creating! 

Grandma wearing an apron my Aunt made





I have another Aunt, who loves to paint rocks.  She is the craftiest of all of us.  She loves making the random door stops and odd ball objects.  Her latest passion has been making desserts.  At first, we banned her from experimenting on us.  She had many failed attempts at food items.  But she has really made some amazing desserts.  My favorite is the white chocolate with walnuts and cranberries.  Although, she has moved on to biscotti.  She is open to trying new things and is willing to try it out.  We talk painting, baking, and walking/running whenever we see each other.  It is always a fun time.


On the left- my mom :) 
The middle and right- my 2 aunts :)
I love this photo!  They look like they are ready to kick butt!

The last Nebrensky woman I'd like to talk about is my mom.  She has been such an amazing influence.  I'm lucky to have a mom who encouraged my artistic abilities.  She loved to paint and draw in high school.  For a short time, she was an art major in college that is until she had me.  She never did go back to school to finish her degree.  Nor did she ever paint or draw again.  She did a lot of sewing when I was little.  She made a lot of my outfits when I was younger.    I don't know if she ever regrets becoming a mom at such a young age.  I do know she has always been a strong woman.  She taught me to me independent (too independent, sometimes) and that no matter what family is always there.  She is my rock in this storm of life.  She is my best friend.  We are always laughing and creating.  She loves to knit and crochet.  Sometimes I crochet with her, but my stuff is simple compared to her work.  I've always wondered why she stopped drawing, but when I ask her she simply says "I was never as good as you."  I disagree!  When we were moving, I found her drawings.  She wanted me to throw them away.  I snuck them into my own portfolio of work.  Here is the work she did during 1976-1978. 

This painting hung in my Grandma's apartment.
 I got it when she passed away.


















No comments:

Post a Comment