Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Influences- Claude Monet

Claude Monet is one of the first artists I can remember learning about.  I remember spending time with my grandmother and looking through her art books.  There was one we loved to look through a lot, which was A Day in the Country
Terrace at Sainte-Adresse, 1867 was my favorite Monet painting to look at in the book.   This painting for some reason was burned into my memory.  I liked it because it was very realistic looking instead of the impressionistic look.  Even at a young age I was fascinated with a more realistic style.

Claude Monet
Terrace at Sainte-Adresse, 1867
My love for Impressionism continued to grow and I remember doing reports about Georges Seurat in middle school.  But my love of Monet was permanent on my first visit to New York.  I went to MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) and saw one of his water lily paintings.  It was massive and as you sit and look at it, you become consumed by the serenity and calmness of the colors.  From that moment on, any time I was in New York, I had to go to MOMA and sit in front of the Monet. 

Then in 2008, I had gone to Paris.  It was my first trip to Europe.  It was a beautiful city and I was excited to see all of the graffiti art.  Then I stumbled upon the Orangerie Museum, which houses 8 water lily paintings.  They were massive and beautiful! I remember being a bit sad because my camera batteries were dying.  But I managed to get in some photos. I think I also bought every book they had in the gift shop about the paintings.  If you ever get a chance to see one in person, I recommend finding a place to sit in the middle of the painting and just stare.  


No comments:

Post a Comment