Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Save the Date! August 18, 2012

On Saturday, August 18, 2012, I will be participating in a group show.  I haven't been in a group show since college.  I used to be an active member of the La Habra Art Association and participate in their juried group shows.  But I eventually moved away and stopped.  Lately, I have been showing my illustration portfolio at children's book conferences.  That alone has been a bit nerve wrecking, but it is the closest thing to exhibiting my work.

Sometimes when you begin thinking about your future, what you want, and all of the possibilities, the thought alone is enough to make it all happen.  I had decided to rejoin the Art Association.  I thought it would be nice to begin showing my work again, even if it is in an itty bitty little place.  But what started it all was starting an ETSY account.  I have been playing various materials, making paintings, drawings, and collages and all of the art work had been piling up in my apartment.  Space was becoming scarce.  My idea was to just sell my work to get it out of my apartment.  It wasn't about money.  It was about the love of making my art.  To my surprise, I was contacted by RAWartists about the possibility of showing my work in a group show.  I find this whole scenario odd in an exciting way.  Usually artists have to go out in search of finding someone to show their work.

So, now is the dilemma of choosing what to put in the show.  I think I have it figured out. But changes could still occur.  I have no idea what to expect, or what could come of this.  But I feel that there is something serendipitous about this art show.  I've been painting and drawing these characters for so long now.  There is just something very special about how things seem to be coming more together as I continue on my journey and the artwork that drew attention to me were the very paintings and Mizzles that began it.

 If you get a chance, you should come out and join us!  It sounds like a fun event.  There will be art work displayed, a fashion show, and bands playing.  Tickets are $10 online and you can get them at http://www.rawartists.org/roldan.  (Please make sure that the artist listed says "Mizzle Adventures") Otherwise tickets are $15 at the door. 

I went to the walk through today to see the set up.  I think the fact that there is a huge tree in the middle of the bar is a really good sign. (I love trees!)  It sounds like it is an entertaining event.  There will be booths for the visual artists, but there is a fashion show and 2 bands playing.  If you get the opportunity to go, make sure you get there at 6pm when the doors open.  If not, you could miss out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment